whats inside prep

kartboy63

this should get good! what is most inside preps, it smells just like paint thinner to me, so why give 60 a gal for paint thinner

Its all junk dont need it to race but if others dont stop useing it u are almost forced to.. It sucks !!!!!

Most good internal preps are very very different from paint thinner.
If you are tired of paying for good internal prep, roll yours with paint thinner.....see what happens :)

I wish I could find that picture brad posted that time as to the results of wrong product for prep lol

I don't mind paying for preps, just don't have something simple that anyone can get and charge 3 times what its worth because they change the color of it, you could get any of the chemicals out there that is used in preps mix them together and not cost 20-30 dollars a qt ---ok im done fill better now
Most good internal preps are very very different from paint thinner.
If you are tired of paying for good internal prep, roll yours with paint thinner.....see what happens :)

$60 would be cheap. When I was making my internal, it cost me $42/gallon to make (and yes, it smelled A LOT like paint thinner).

So in all honestly why gamble with 12 sets of tires to save $20?

I don't mind paying for preps, just don't have something simple that anyone can get and charge 3 times what its worth because they change the color of it, you could get any of the chemicals out there that is used in preps mix them together and not cost 20-30 dollars a qt ---ok im done fill better now
And every prep supplier is a millionaire that forced you to buy their product? Intellectual property, research and development, marketing. What should a prep man be paid for his efforts?

I can guarantee you that there is more R&D money spent today than there was back in the '80s when we were all fooling around with paint thinners.
Take a look at entry fees alone! The cost of tires (including those prepped that DIDN'T work.) The cost of chemicals hasn't come down either. Containers, labels, etc.
I'm certainly not a millionaire, (yet.) ;)

Like your post, JWD, right on target.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

tolulene 90oz, mek 20oz, marvel mystery oil 10 oz, wd40 10oz, a inside red, if you want more aggressive add a little more mek.. probably mid 40's to make a gallon, I know what a lot of preps are made of,, as do many,, the good ones hire guys that know what to do with it,,,

Last edited:
So do you charge for your labor? And again I ask, What should a prep man be paid for his efforts? You obviously know that so please share it with us?

They should be paid the same as going out to eat.

There's the cost of the food you know up front by the prices on the menu and there's the cost of serving the food. A small part of the cost for service you pay up front in the food price. The rest of your cost is based on how the customer values the service in the form of a voluntary tip and can include a mandatory tip or service fee.to the customer. If you eat in restaurants, then you don't have to find and prepare your own food. Some restaurants are better then others and some cook their own food better then others. The only thing you can't do without is the food. ... :)

So do you charge for your labor? And again I ask, What should a prep man be paid for his efforts? You obviously know that so please share it with us?

you missing the point, if I mix salt and pepper together and call it a special blend should I charge you 30 for a qt of it, its nothing special but if you ask a "prep" guy how to make your own prep to save money its like its against the law

you missing the point, if I mix salt and pepper together and call it a special blend should I charge you 30 for a qt of it, its nothing special but if you ask a "prep" guy how to make your own prep to save money its like its against the law

If you figure out a blend of salt and pepper which when used will make folks like what there eating, you could get 30 for a quart jar full of the stuff. You'd get your price because everyone else is selling food that ain't exactly what folks like. ... :)

If the colonel tells you what the 11 herbs and spices are, how long will he be in business? Life isn't a snap-together model car or a paint-by-numbers masterpiece. Do your due diligence and you may achieve something to be proud of.

If the colonel tells you what the 11 herbs and spices are, how long will he be in business? Life isn't a snap-together model car or a paint-by-numbers masterpiece. Do your due diligence and you may achieve something to be proud of.

ditto LOL

Just typical, another wanting the tire prep secrets handed too them by the ones that know. Not wanting to work for anything or pay for someone else's.

Work hard and make it yourself, or pay for someone to do it for you. I can bet you'll save money taking advice from those in the know instead of challenging them.

Jwd straight up gave you the best answer you could get. Save $20 a gallon after spending thousands on tires and time spent experienting to get a few decent mixtures. Or just go with what you know works?

Apparently you don't understand just how stupid that question is.

You just asked a professional, "What do I need to do your job so I don't have to pay you any more?"

It's like asking Welch's how to make jelly, Anheuser Busch how to make Budweiser or Jack Daniels how to make whiskey. You can make jelly, you can make beer, you make whiskey but you can't make those preferred jellies, beers or whiskeys.

I'll tell you how to make tire prep. You need a solvent, an oil and a polymer. The amount of solvent or oil depends on how you attain your polymer. Polymers are hard to obtain privately or small enough quantities for individual use. As a result most obtain them through commercial products. Most oils have polymers in them.

What is the intellectual property (recipe) worth to you?
I might be a taker -- Are we talking 5 figures or more?
Do you really think that TT or Keyser/ProBlend or anyone else is going to just donate their recipes to you? I'm sure that some can be bought for enough money - Happens all the time in the business world...just keep in mind that everything has a value (some considerably more than others.)

There used to be a homebrew thread on here, I'm sure if you do some searching on your own, you can find a prep to your liking and it won't cost you a dime for the recipe -- just the ingredients. Have at it.

Back