whats inside prep

What is the intellectual property (recipe) worth to you?
I might be a taker -- Are we talking 5 figures or more?
Do you really think that TT or Keyser/ProBlend or anyone else is going to just donate their recipes to you? I'm sure that some can be bought for enough money - Happens all the time in the business world...just keep in mind that everything has a value (some considerably more than others.)

There used to be a homebrew thread on here, I'm sure if you do some searching on your own, you can find a prep to your liking and it won't cost you a dime for the recipe -- just the ingredients. Have at it.

Haha, I almost made him the same offer. If he thinks there's that much profit, the recipe is for sale.

I can build a go kart. I've already proven that. I also proved that Ultramax could build me a go kart for much less money than I could and a ton fewer headaches.

I can make great tire preps. But Track Tac also makes great preps for me for much less money and a ton fewer headaches.

If I build a kart and yo-yo doesn't know how to operate it, I have to babysit him. If Ultramax builds it I can give him their number and let them deal with it.

If I make a prep and the yo-yo does something stupid, I have a headache. If Track Tac made it, Chris and Randy get the headache.

Ultramax and Track Tac get paid well to handle the headache. I'm not built for dealing with headaches.

you missing the point, if I mix salt and pepper together and call it a special blend should I charge you 30 for a qt of it, its nothing special but if you ask a "prep" guy how to make your own prep to save money its like its against the law
No, you're missing the point. If you mix salt and pepper and can sell it for $30 go for it. The diffrence is I would'nt get on the salt forum and whine about it. You still haven't answered the question, How much should a prep man profit from his labor?

I knew this would get good, and still everyone don't get what I said, I know the prep guys wont give up their recipe, that's not what I want, if I can buy something at the hardware store that will do what I want then that's good for me, I don't have to be a pro at it, but if I ask what will effect of toluene,xylene,naphtha,or thinner do to a tire its like no one knows nothing, you take acrysol was it made for a tire prep no, but it is used on tires to get a certain effect, that's all I want to know just the right direction to go and please don't say buy prep I know I can do that

Well go buy the above mentioned chemical. Start mixing and see what you come up with. But be aware that you will destroy many tire's before you get it right. Then when you get a good recipe be sure to share it with all of us. Like you're wanting these folk's to do.

you see another one with no info. but if I would come up with something that's works, you might not believe me but I would tell others because most of you don't race where I am from and if you did I still would tell and any one who knows me would tell you that. if I had something that would help a "poboy" out I would and again I don't want THE RECIPE I would like to know what each chemical does then I can go from there

kartboy,
Do a little research on here -- at least make the effort to use the search feature - many of the chemicals you mentioned have been discussed (some at great length) in other threads.

Good luck on your R&D.

I've seen a few post over the years on here that answers your questions,it explains what each chemical does instead of hoping someone will spill the beans go search the threads.

Lol, the chemicals you are asking about; if you don't know what they do you don't know how dangerous they are. Therefore shouldn't be playing backyard chemist. If you do, put in the time to learn what each chemical does, as did most of the Pro's you are asking for the secrets! You don't want the recipe,you want the instructions to one. Either put in the work or pay for it as you have been told!

One of the most successful tire men in the country told you that you will save $20 a gallon, and ruin thousands of dollars worth of tires to save $20 per gallon. You do the math....

Last edited:
I knew this would get good, and still everyone don't get what I said, I know the prep guys wont give up their recipe, that's not what I want, if I can buy something at the hardware store that will do what I want then that's good for me, I don't have to be a pro at it, but if I ask what will effect of toluene,xylene,naphtha,or thinner do to a tire its like no one knows nothing, you take acrysol was it made for a tire prep no, but it is used on tires to get a certain effect, that's all I want to know just the right direction to go and please don't say buy prep I know I can do that

Xylene, toulene, naptha, mek, lacquer thinner all accomplish the same thing at varying degrees. They break the rubber down and soften it. However, each of those has a pretty high evaporation rate, and each rate is different. Once the chemical mixes with the oils in the rubber it softens the tire. As these chemicals evaporate, they pull the oils out with them. Now the tire is hard and dry, doesn't flex well, and will show signs of breaking down (dry rot) very quickly. That's where the above mentioned oils come into play. They replenish the oils stripped out by the other chemicals. But there are many oils used and those all do something different to the tire. And not all of these oils and thinners will work together. That's probably where the polymers come in. A binder agent to mix everything consistently and keep it mixed. That should answer your questions. Now it's up to you to mix different oils with different thinners in varying quantities to find the right mixture to soften the tires to where you want them without damaging them so they will last longer than a week or 2 from brand new. Then mix up other chemicals to find the right mix to give you the bite you need for any particular track conditions. When you're all done with that shenanigans, I (and most other guys on here) will have spent maybe a couple hundred dollars on a tote full of track Tac or other name brand prep that we already know works for any condition we need to adapt to. In my opinion, that $200 in prep is very cheap and I have piece of mind knowing that my tires aren't going to be junk in a few days.

OK, I know I shouldn't, but I'm going to tell what most prep guys are keeping to themselves. This may make a lot of people mad, but it needs to be put out there since folks really want to know what is in these preps.

There are very few basic preps out there that most rely on depending on the track conditions, but where they are found may be somewhat surprising:

- Medium bite situations require use of Happy Jack flea and tick dip. This can be found at your local veterinary supply store or Southern States, etc. If the track gets a little dry slick as the night goes on, just a capful of the Happy Jack shampoo in a 16 oz. bottle helps a lot.

- When a more agressive outside prep is required, Vicks 44 cough syrup is the go-to prep. This can be cut as-needed with Welch's (WHITE) grape juice. The regular will not mix well with Vicks and leaves a slick, almost greasy surface on the tire and won't go in well.

- For inside preps, the Vicks 44 works well, but cut 70/30 with common mineral oil in order to prevent drying out the tire over time.

Well, there you have it kartboy. Like Jack Nicholson said in that movie, I'm not sure you can HANDLE the truth, but you asked for it...

there you go someone with some information finally I have something to go on thanks dude your my hero
OK, I know I shouldn't, but I'm going to tell what most prep guys are keeping to themselves. This may make a lot of people mad, but it needs to be put out there since folks really want to know what is in these preps.

There are very few basic preps out there that most rely on depending on the track conditions, but where they are found may be somewhat surprising:

- Medium bite situations require use of Happy Jack flea and tick dip. This can be found at your local veterinary supply store or Southern States, etc. If the track gets a little dry slick as the night goes on, just a capful of the Happy Jack shampoo in a 16 oz. bottle helps a lot.

- When a more agressive outside prep is required, Vicks 44 cough syrup is the go-to prep. This can be cut as-needed with Welch's (WHITE) grape juice. The regular will not mix well with Vicks and leaves a slick, almost greasy surface on the tire and won't go in well.

- For inside preps, the Vicks 44 works well, but cut 70/30 with common mineral oil in order to prevent drying out the tire over time.

Well, there you have it kartboy. Like Jack Nicholson said in that movie, I'm not sure you can HANDLE the truth, but you asked for it...

Now why did you have to go and do that???

You really had to just had to spill the beans about the grape juice. I mean pretty much everybody but kartboy knew about vicks and mineral oil, but the grape juice...that was pretty much just kartshop info. I swear we can't tell you anything.

Now why did you have to go and do that???

You really had to just had to spill the beans about the grape juice. I mean pretty much everybody but kartboy knew about vicks and mineral oil, but the grape juice...that was pretty much just kartshop info. I swear we can't tell you anything.

Do not forget milk as a PRW...Oh snap I let out the utter secret!!

ok, i know i shouldn't, but i'm going to tell what most prep guys are keeping to themselves. This may make a lot of people mad, but it needs to be put out there since folks really want to know what is in these preps.

- medium bite situations require use of happy jack flea and tick dip. This can be found at your local veterinary supply store or southern states, etc. If the track gets a little dry slick as the night goes on, just a capful of the happy jack shampoo in a 16 oz. Bottle helps a lot.

- when a more agressive outside prep is required, vicks 44 cough syrup is the go-to prep. This can be cut as-needed with welch's (white) grape juice. The regular will not mix well with vicks and leaves a slick, almost greasy surface on the tire and won't go in well.

- for inside preps, the vicks 44 works well, but cut 70/30 with common mineral oil in order to prevent drying out the tire over time.

Well, there you have it kartboy. Like jack nicholson said in that movie, i'm not sure you can handle the truth, but you asked for it...

lol !!!!!

I finally have something to go on now, thanks man you are my hero , well let me get started on a recipe and I will let all of you know how it turns out

I apologize to folks like JWD, the folks at TT, Jerry Mullis, Donnie Nall, and all the other tire professionals out there. I was weak and gave in to pressure. Folks still have to read the track to be able to get the application correct, so perhaps your livlihoods are safe for now.

P.S.- It's really no big secret that Mullis and Nall cut their Vicks with Bud Light instead of Welch's.

Last edited:
Back