100 MPH 'SA PRO-Clone'....(?)

screamer....100+ in a kart is going to raise the pucker factor! i think that you can do with with the gearing and such. I'm on a 4/10 mile paved oval and some are hitting some impressive speeds (with the rpm's on a flathead reaching 9700+)...

i think that if you make a temporary "shield" over the nose of the kart (unless you want to do it with a normal body), then you can cut some of the wind factor. i don't go along with the wider is slower because you're going to a wider base which will improve handling. unless your going to stick the tires out in the air flow, then wider is giving you a handling boost. i would move the nose out as far as possible and lay the seat back too....anything to get your head and knees out of the wind...i'd look at extending a plastic piece from the forward end of the fairing to the top of the kart nose....nothing that would keep you in the kart in case of you know....rolling it!!.....but enough to deflect the wind from inside the kart itself. maybe a fairing over the engine too...

just some random bb'd bouncin around!!

screamer....100+ in a kart is going to raise the pucker factor! i think that you can do with with the gearing and such. I'm on a 4/10 mile paved oval and some are hitting some impressive speeds (with the rpm's on a flathead reaching 9700+)...

i think that if you make a temporary "shield" over the nose of the kart (unless you want to do it with a normal body), then you can cut some of the wind factor. i don't go along with the wider is slower because you're going to a wider base which will improve handling. unless your going to stick the tires out in the air flow, then wider is giving you a handling boost. i would move the nose out as far as possible and lay the seat back too....anything to get your head and knees out of the wind...i'd look at extending a plastic piece from the forward end of the fairing to the top of the kart nose....nothing that would keep you in the kart in case of you know....rolling it!!.....but enough to deflect the wind from inside the kart itself. maybe a fairing over the engine too...

Good input Mike, but...I don't see much 'aero' help in-the-cards. The 'too-do' list is still fairly long and I only have 2hands. I've gotta do this 'My Way' and 'I Gotta be Me'! I'm having a-ball and thinking about the old days, watching 'Duffy' creating his toys back in the day. (His front engine 'Puch' was his best.) Heck....I might even do a (3) motor, or like my son (my welder) said last night...."Why not hang one on all 4-corners?" :)

A GOOD stock clone in a sit up enduro(36" wide and the driver hiding in the kart) can bump 82-3 mph, A good animal bumps 94-95 and a Limited Animal or limited clone bumps 102-3mph.

The wider the kart the slower it goes and the taller the driver sits the slower you go.

(;-) TP
At Daytona in my limited mod, we drafted by the DD2 2 speed rotax karts...

The looks we got from the drivers were priceless!!

I'm trying too figure out what I should call this thing when I fill out the entry form. I am mixed between..."Pro-Clone Too" or, "392 Pro-Clone"! If I call it '392', then...the next one might be...."424(Hemi) Pro-Clone"! Any thoughts? :)

It needs a pair of Hemi 212's for the win....
Or you could mount a single big block instead:)
It's all going to be in the aero....or overcoming it with enough HP.

Sounds like you understand the importance of aero. IIRC situp CIK 80cc shifters just break the 100mark making around 28BHP at that track.

Gotta get right down! It really depends on whether you can afford the right kind of shop time. Aero shops are not cheap and take a while to do right. I run CIK on two of our karts and we need to update our aero every 4 to 6 races. 100 is possible if you run the right temp and humidity program.

You guy's are starting too make this 'adventure' sound too easy! I realized, a long time ago....that the Only thing I am afraid of is 'failure'!! If things go reasonability well, I might get serious...:)

Gotta get right down! It really depends on whether you can afford the right kind of shop time. Aero shops are not cheap and take a while to do right. I run CIK on two of our karts and we need to update our aero every 4 to 6 races. 100 is possible if you run the right temp and humidity program.

Once again HUH???

Im talking situp with any typical CIK aero... even breadbox. What do you mean by update your aero every 4-6 races, im curious here..

devil-d-dawg....when your talking "update our aero every 4 to 6 races".....may i ask what your refering to? i run lto karts with the standard bodies on them. this is only our second (coming up third) season racing karts and i'm learning as i go!

nah...i'm partial to swamps....but can you cut a track into that hill o' beans? make for some wicked drifting thru the corners!!!

I'm on a 4/10 mile paved oval and some are hitting some impressive speeds (with the rpm's on a flathead reaching 9700+)...

What kind of Flathead are you running that will turn 9700+ RPMS? You get much above 7500 and your into "grenade land". And if its really a 4/10 mile paved oval, your about 4000 RPM out of the power band of a flathead

Wider will be slower...it doesnt matter how aerodynamic you make a "wider" kart, its still an object that has to push wind out of the way. Handling wont be a factor when your trying to hit a top speed of 100 MPH.

Take some notes from the Enduro guys....everything they do to a kart is directly related to aerodynamics...those guys are the best at taking low HP and making it go as fast as possible.

Wider will be slower...it doesnt matter how aerodynamic you make a "wider" kart, its still an object that has to push wind out of the way. Handling wont be a factor when your trying to hit a top speed of 100 MPH.
Take some notes from the Enduro guys....everything they do to a kart is directly related to aerodynamics...those guys are the best at taking low HP and making it go as fast as possible.

We will be boring a hole thru the air...no doubt! This is Not a jackshaft application and the lft side dictates the width at 55 1/8". The Good news is that the kart is well balanced and should 'handle' very well! Handling 'will be' an issue when I want to 'average' 100mph. I am looking into 'Cycling' helmets, but...I doubt the 'folks' will see the humor in it...:)

JPM...I'm on a clone. It was another racer that showed me his tach reading after the feature at 9720. Yes, he was worried about grenading it, but it held together....don't know how, but it did! he was running against all us clones and holding his own.....

i don't see wider as slower tho....not meaning to argue, but if you tuck everything under the bodywork (meaning the sides), then the aero will be roughly the same. but i don't think you would lose anything if you went 2 or three inches wider....giving you a more stable platform as long as you blocked the wind from getting under the kart.i think that you would have to compensate for it in other ways, but i still don't see the logic in wider is slower, not when you can adjust the rear track width for handling and yet get faster! same principle applies...adjusting the track width to increase stability and handling will improve overall speed. face it, we're all punching a big hole in the air with our heads and the more that you can get our of the stream and tucked away the faster your going to go. i would also look at installing something to keep the wind from coming up through the sides too...like extending the floor board outwards on each side toward the nerf bars. maybe even cutting vent holes under the nose and running like a vacuum hose up to close by the engine...suck the air underneath the nose and use it to cool the engine.....

ok, so my synapes aren't firing on all cylinders all the time....i think there are a dozen and a half ways to cut through the air and using it to create a stable platform to race and gain speed....and that includes getting a wider, more stable stance....

and while i'm thinking about it, i saw a body with a fairing over/around the engine as well (it was here on bob's!) and that would get the air up and around the engine, which has about as much aero as rock....

just me!! :)

... face it, we're all punching a big hole in the air with our heads and the more that you can get our of the stream and tucked away the faster your going to go....

You just said it yourself.

You can make a kart thats 60" wide as aerodynamic as you want....but its still 60" of stuff that has to push through the air. Take the same aero package and put it on a 50" wide setup and it will go faster everytime. In regards to handling, it will always be a balance between handling and aero, but I dont see wider automatically mean its going to handle better...I would be looking at other aspects of the kart. On a track that big, getting out of the wind would be 10x more important to me then getting through a corner a tenth of a second quicker.

Look at everyone that goes to the salt flats.....there is a reason they are all about as wide as a driver.

Back