2015 WKA Road Race Classes

I'm still trying to see if I have time to make the trip, between Van and Steve I guess I'll have to get a Bullet proof vest now :)

My friend Bob V. - no worries about that, in my book your one of the good old boys that's just trying to keep karting alive and healthy. When I first had a good talk with you many years ago I knew then that we are both in agreement on many karting issues to keep in going. I'm sure with regards to engine design and specs we could talk for hours on that and probably not agree with everything and that's ok. For sure one thing I have seen over the years is we all have to make adjustments as we move forward, its just not the same today and even the racers coming into the sport today are just different than the ways we all grew up in life and in racing. Simplicity and cost are bigger factors today than years ago.

Thanks
Steve

Labor time to build the BP Alky animal vs Pro Gas Animal. Something for you high tech engine builders to think about. The profile numbers listed below would be the most optimized specs that would make the max HP for an unrestricted Animal BP engine within the WKA #704 specs. I'm sure you guys know this since obviously the longer the intake valve is open the more fuel / air it will inhail and more power will result! Now after you digest and analyze these profile numbers let me know how much time and money, with emphasis on time, you think it would take you to achieve these numbers. This is a non topic for discussion with the Pro Gas spec camshaft!

INTAKE
Lift Degrees
0.020” 18º BTDC
0.050” 0 TDC
0.100” 16º ATDC
0.150” 33° ATDC
0.175” 42º ATDC
0.200” 53° ATDC
0.225” 67º ATDC
Cam lobe max lift = .253
0.225” 35º BBDC
0.200” 21° BBDC
0.175” 11° BBDC
0.150” 1 BBDC
0.100” 16º ABDC
0.050” 32º ABDC
0.020” 49º ABDC

EXHAUST
Lift Degrees
0.020” 61º BBDC
0.050” 44º BBDC
0.100” 27º BBDC
0.150” 11º BBDC
0.175” 1º BBDC
0.200” 10º ABDC
0.225” 24º ABDC
Cam lobe max lift = .253
0.225” 74º BTDC
0.200” 60º BTDC
0.175” 49º BTDC
0.150” 39º BTDC
0.100” 23º BTDC
0.050” 6º BTDC
0.020” 10º ATDC

Hey Bob V.- those snow mobile engines are awesome, I remember dyno testing some of those back in the mid 90's. The 2 cylinder Rotex engine you can hold in one hand was making over 120 HP!

Steve

Steve, the profile numbers you listed are almost number for number of the Comp Cams OHV2 cam. But I have tried several times in an unrestricted engine and I just can't get that cam to make good HP in the unrestricted. Now for plate motors, I like that cam. But it could be the actual opening closing numbers are wrong as you don't have them listed.

How can this be a non-discussion for the PG cam? You can twist/tweak that cam just like any other cam you put in a block (if needed). I have had blocks that no matter what cam you put in it, the cam needed "tweaking" to be right, and I have had blocks you drop it in and it's just "right". I suspect this will be the same with the PG cam/blocks. I have not seen the cam in a block yet, but I "assume" it's ground right on the profile limits just like other Dyno cams so there is the "possibility" it might need "tweaking" if one of the numbers is a 1/2 degree out of the legal limit. Have you seen this yet? Have you had to tweak any of the PG cams yet? You are the only one that I know that has built a good number of them, so you would know better than anyone else in the discussion.

Jamie,

A little confusing to me, we have found that the small plate engines like a late intake opening at the .020 and .050 check points. With regards to the Pro Gas cam, no we have not seen any of them out of profile limits yet. Even if we did have to twist it a bit this is only a 5 minute operation in our shop.

Steve

Well, I have just experienced the worst failure you can get.

The heater in our house, thank god it warmed up here yesterday, we were at +2 this mourning. Doesn't look like today's gonna be a good day

Back