Does stagger depend on driving style

With any stagger, you know the inside tire is a drag on forward momentum on the straights

LOL, you replied in the wrong thread Al, but no worry we understand.

You assume the inside smaller tire is dragging. Al it depends on how and when weight is applied.
Depending on available hp you may actually be accelerating off the LOW GEAR smaller tire and slipping or partially slipping the bigger outside tire. possible?

Here's another point you may want to look at. What is drag or slip is not always drag. It depends on which way the slip or drag/grip is going.
If the tire is actually rotating faster, which ever tire it is, it's not contributing to slowing it's contributing to acceleration. maybe Al?

Al depending on available hp, that small tire acceleration is your down shift into low gear.
I understand on were not generally into high available hp, but might the theory and practice be the same ?

This is my theory; the path the two tires are following around the turn are different lengths, if your stagger is not right, the inside tire (it is connected to the outside tire) will be turning too fast or too slow, slipping essentially. Or sliding, depending on how you look it. A rolling tire has more traction than a sliding tire. Fact of life. It's the whole reason for antilock brakes. Lockup the rear brakes and see how fast the rear end catches up with the front end. Not to mention that a sliding tire is a drag on the forward momentum of the kart. With any stagger, you know the inside tire is a drag on forward momentum on the straights , well it's the same thing in the turns, that's why stagger is so important, less drag in the turns. It is a compromise, proper stagger for the turns versus less drag down the straights.
Good theory but if that was it I would be slow in corner and as a result slow on straights

Ok total set up
44.8 to 45 nose
57 to 57.5 left
60 to 61 cross
Caster 10/13
Camber rf 2.5 lf. 25

On day shows switch to
45 nose
58.5 59 left
66 cross
Same on rest
Results for both set ups is the same lower rear stagger than most

You can't believe how much I appreciate your posting what should be amazingly helpful info to all and I'm copy and pasting it into my "good stuff" folder.

butt... you asked a what do you think question and the best I can do thinking more on it is what I already have offered.
It may be wrong but it's what I think at least as of now.

"I think it nets out to your unloading your LR more and can do it because your on less stagger."

That's what you asked for ain't it?

And height is 5ft 9in

LOL again, my dry humor immediately told me to ask, long legs short torso or short legs long torso?

and... I guess at this point it's a legit question. ?

A bit if humor here I was in Army boot camp with someone who complained about how the heck can then expect me to take 30" steps with tow 14" legs?

After learning about Viet Nam I've wondered many times if him and his small frame didn't end up crawling through tunnels and if he made it back ok. ... :(

With that much LR corner weight, I can see you needing a little less stagger. Might help you down the straight. 166% rear cross is, on average, higher than most people run. Not saying it's bad, it just higher.
tast.jpg

Ok total set up
44.8 to 45 nose
57 to 57.5 left
60 to 61 cross
Caster 10/13
Camber rf 2.5 lf. 25

On day shows switch to
45 nose
58.5 59 left
66 cross
Same on rest
Results for both set ups is the same lower rear stagger than most
Not even close to enough nose weight for a Triton, 47 is the least amount of nose.

166% rear cross is, on average, higher

Al, the proper dirt racing term for your rear cross number is "WEDGE". It would be a normal thing to ask a car racer how much "WEDGE" their running. But it's not used in karting. "Wedge" car racing etc., can also be another word used for 'cross'..

Not even close to enough nose weight for a Triton, 47 is the least amount of nose.
More nose weight would make loose in worse and would cause me to go lower on rear stagger I'm thinking...and I'm not having any issues with turning in or getting out of corner not sure why increase in nose weight will require less rear stagger?

More nose weight would make loose in worse and would cause me to go lower on rear stagger I'm thinking...and I'm not having any issues with turning in or getting out of corner not sure why increase in nose weight will require less rear stagger?

Any change in stagger changes the ability of your LR tire to grip the track

Changing stagger changes your LR tires grip. It's because stagger normally creates a difference in the speed the surface of your LR tire is moving compared to the non moving surface of the track.
If the tire is rolling on the track exactly as is needed for it's roll out then there is no difference in it's surface speed compared to the non moving surface of the track.
If your actually going the same speed on the track in a corner different staggers will cause how the surface speed of each rear tire compares to the track.
Unless your going around in a perfect circle with your roll out matching up perfectly to how much turning your doing going around the circle, one tire or another has to slip.
Switch from a smaller tire to a bigger tire on the LR and the difference between the surface speed of the LR tire and the non moving track will be reduced. Because you have limited hp the end goal is to be able to get thru a turn with the least friction between your tires and the track so you can carry the most speed thru the turn.
If you and the others get thru a turn the same and others are on more stagger the difference in surface speed between the surface of their LR tire and the non moving track is greater then you with less stagger. .... OK??????
Because their difference is greater then yours the MUST put more weight to the LR tire then you because their tire is more prone to slip.
Now switch your thinking from putting enough weight to the tire with a higher difference to unloading weight from the tire instead because your in a turn.
If you and the others are at the same place in the turn going the same speed you MUST unload more weight then they do or your LR tire with it's slower surface speed will scrub speed and you won't be able to go thru the turn as fast as they do with your limited hp.

Because of the above words, my reply for why you can get thru the turns just as well with less stagger is:
"It nets out to your unloading your LR more and can do it because your on less stagger."

... or not ??????????? ... :)

ok, back to bed for another day of self quarantine.

Great question but proly a dumb answer from me. And Al, I hope this help you to add in some different thoughts about tire slippage and scrub. Your calculations are correct except because of tire slip the results do not fit what is happening and why it happens. Al the tires are ALWAYS slipping and scuffing off torque/hp you need to go forward and what happens is about how you slip and scuff off speed not the fact your always doing it. As long as the tires slipping or scuffing are doing it in a way that the scuffing is actually grip propelling you forward, there is no loss and it's all good. Al your ASSUMING when a tires surface speed is not matching up to it's roll out the difference is because the surface is going slower then what is needed to roll across the track. That is NOT the case Al, it's slipping yet rolling in a forward direction "faster" then it's traveling across the track. Al rollout movement or rotation can either be exactly the same as traveling across the track, slower then how fast your traveling across the track or "faster". Your stuck on the fact it "can" be slower, butt it doesn't have to always be slower scuffing off speed.

Last edited:
Any change in stagger changes the ability of your LR tire to grip the track

Changing stagger changes your LR tires grip. It's because stagger normally creates a difference in the speed the surface of your LR tire is moving compared to the non moving surface of the track.
If the tire is rolling on the track exactly as is needed for it's roll out then there is no difference in it's surface speed compared to the non moving surface of the track.
If your actually going the same speed on the track in a corner different staggers will cause how the surface speed of each rear tire compares to the track.
Unless your going around in a perfect circle with your roll out matching up perfectly to how much turning your doing going around the circle, one tire or another has to slip.
Switch from a smaller tire to a bigger tire on the LR and the difference between the surface speed of the LR tire and the non moving track will be reduced. Because you have limited hp the end goal is to be able to get thru a turn with the least friction between your tires and the track so you can carry the most speed thru the turn.
If you and the others get thru a turn the same and others are on more stagger the difference in surface speed between the surface of their LR tire and the non moving track is greater then you with less stagger. .... OK??????
Because their difference is greater then yours the MUST put more weight to the LR tire then you because their tire is more prone to slip.
Now switch your thinking from putting enough weight to the tire with a higher difference to unloading weight from the tire instead because your in a turn.
If you and the others are at the same place in the turn going the same speed you MUST unload more weight then they do or your LR tire with it's slower surface speed will scrub speed and you won't be able to go thru the turn as fast as they do with your limited hp.

Because of the above words, my reply for why you can get thru the turns just as well with less stagger is:
"It nets out to your unloading your LR more and can do it because your on less stagger."

... or not ??????????? ... :)

ok, back to bed for another day of self quarantine.

Great question but proly a dumb answer from me. And Al, I hope this help you to add in some different thoughts about tire slippage and scrub. Your calculations are correct except because of tire slip the results do not fit what is happening and why it happens. Al the tires are ALWAYS slipping and scuffing off torque/hp you need to go forward and what happens is about how you slip and scuff off speed not the fact your always doing it. As long as the tires slipping or scuffing are doing it in a way that the scuffing is actually grip propelling you forward, there is no loss and it's all good. Al your ASSUMING when a tires surface speed is not matching up to it's roll out the difference is because the surface is going slower then what is needed to roll across the track. That is NOT the case Al, it's slipping yet rolling in a forward direction "faster" then it's traveling across the track. Al rollout movement or rotation can either be exactly the same as traveling across the track, slower then how fast your traveling across the track or "faster". Your stuck on the fact it "can" be slower, butt it doesn't have to always be slower scuffing off speed.
Great explanation just one question why when I go to 66 cross and more left side is the result the same I know some guys are on 64 cross and never change it but yet are on more stagger

Great explanation just one question why when I go to 66 cross and more left side is the result the same I know some guys are on 64 cross and never change it but yet are on more stagger

Assuming you followed it should be easy to explain by bringing in available hp and the momentum all should be trying to save after turn in with the driving process I describe as brake, >>insert arc<<, turn, accelerate. Being fast is all about using what ever your racing to take best advantage of the "insert arc" portion of each turn. After turn in and sometimes even including turn in every turn should have something like or similar to the "insert arc" and the turns included in each of your turns are entry, mid turn and exit. The most speed is lost during mid corner and during exit with what you do entering setting up mid corner and the result of mid corner being exit.

Back to your question and before you read on read again what you wrote and think about what I wrote in my last post so you can relate the two together.

answer quoting me: "If you and the others are at the same place in the turn going the same speed you MUST unload more weight then they do or your LR tire with it's slower surface speed will scrub speed and you won't be able to go thru the turn as fast as they do with your limited hp."

The caveat is how much turning you need to do and can doing it with the fronts to overcome additional grip used in the back which is trying to make you go straight. ... is that ok at this point I hope so?

Absolute fast is getting through a corner at or very near the limit of grip for the speed your going and the momentum you brought into the corner.
To go faster you must have additional grip along with either or both of additional hp and momentum.
Without additional grip/bite and either or additional hp and momentum you can't go any faster.
Here what's interesting and your learning it from the source of the interesting theory.
"For you to add acceleration from the back or a higher maintained momentum you must first have additional turning ability from the front tires."

Here's a question for you and if the answer is obvious I did good.

Is your reduction in stagger causing the backs to more want to go straight?

and another question. If the backs with your reduced stagger is making you want to go straight more what must you have to make up for it?

You already know and have the additional turning ability up front or you would not be able to carry more momentum in the corner keeping up with those who have less ability to carry less momentum. Notice I said less ability and not that they were carrying less momentum. ... :)

This just crept back into mind and it's about your initially saying you can turn down on others coming off and I'll assume it's an advantage you have that others either don't of have less of. If your setup has you on more grip both front and rear for what ever reason, wouldn't that be the case?

We started out sprint kart racing turning to dirt box stock kart racing, then to dirt yami, then to UAS, on to 360 sprint car and my low no pot to pee in son last year saw a dream come true by putting two sprint cars on the track one a 360 and the other a 410.

That's just fun to say but it is also a lead into what follows. I'm into so many different types of dirt racing stuff there is no way I could ever know or remember what adjustment does what. Because of that and knowing my own personality I long ago got into creating my own theories about how stuff works. Naturally I got into winged and non winged sprints and lately have been trying to understand Super lated and big blocks. The last two has helped immensely understanding karts from a different perspective or a perspective other then just how a staggered solid axle works. Karts are more towards Late models then winged sprint cars. But ultimate efficiency no matter what you race is still the same and it's about what you have to work with and it's limitations and advantages. Today even winged sprint cars are moving their over all setup as much as they can towards how Super Lates and Big Blocks function. I forgot where I was going with that but it doesn't matter.

I got back on track and here is the comparison of controlling or using grip up front to help your backs be able to accelerate I was leading into.

What follows is totally my theory. Thinking about the grip you need up front to be able to use your backs efficiently as you have setup your kart.

Think about a Super Late and how it's rear steer moves the nose of the car over to the left and how the HUGE camber you see on the straights angles the RF tire into the track. Is it an aw ha moment already? Do you see how they can apply rear grip for acceleration only because they are gaing grip up front by pinning the RF tire or driving it into the track?

Now the other side of the coin. Can you picture a winged sprint car driver with his light high hp car sawing the steering wheel back and forth coming off the corner? Do you know why there doing it? There doing it because the lightness of the car and their huge amount of available hp is allowing them to get to the limit of grip. If you have a ton of stagger and are in the process of straightening out and moving weight off the RR and onto the LR to setup for the next turn, the sawing of the steering wheel is actually freeing up the fronts to shift total available grip towards the back for acceleration.

... I think i'd better stop. Why? I need another cup of coffee. ... :)

I hope I did ok explaining and if you see errors in it please point them out to me because I am on here not only for fun but to learn. There's nothing better at the track then to try to explain your thoughts and have someone say your full of it and >>>here's the reason why your not correct. ... :)

Netting it out with your less stagger and more turning ability up front, your creating more conflict between your fronts and your backs. That additional conflict is what is allowing you to run with the others at or close to the limit of grip. The goodness may be that when needed you can alter your speed or line to shift over all function to take advantage of the additional grip you already have to turn down coming off the corner.

maybe?????

now I really got to get that coffee royal

Last edited:
Well according to the other guy I should be running 47 nose weight on a Triton and I'm 2% below that so does my front really have more turning ability? I mean most times I dont need to turn wheel to get into corners just almost a relax and barely move wheel. Its neat to discuss but not sure I'm completely understanding it all

Your Triton is special because it's designed to flex at the right rear corner/area of it for Junior drivers who like to hold their foot on the gas while braking in turns. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Is there both a Triton and a Jr Triton? I don't know.

I stopped at Phantom thinking it did because of the new brake location to ask and it's what I was told.
They also told me they moved on beyond it because all that was needed in today's karting world was a basic kart and the rest was about tires.

Or I'm not remembering correctly.

sorry to confuse, probably should take Sco's word on it and be just as fast with a different setup like everyone else. ... :)

or maybe if you were runnin down sough it wouldn't cut it and up here all you got to run against are a bunch of slugs. ... :)

Well according to the other guy I should be running 47 nose weight on a Triton and I'm 2% below that so does my front really have more turning ability? I mean most times I dont need to turn wheel to get into corners just almost a relax and barely move wheel. Its neat to discuss but not sure I'm completely understanding it all
That kind of surprised me too. If you are, according to you, handling perfect, what's the need for changing. Of course we're always looking for a little more, so experimenting isn't going to hurt anything. Who knows where it will lead us.

Back