Harbor Freight 212 Ghost

No exuast? You get no exuast and no fuel tank and it's $300? Maybe it's a good thing to finally get rid of those crappy mufflers anyway. Color scheme looks nice.
Maybe they changed the rockers up a bit like on the champions. I doubt it though

The product description mentions something called the "performance racing accessory kit" (sold separate). I bet this consists of an exhaust, among other necessary parts, like an air filter, chain guard, etc.

The way they word the description makes it sound like this "performance racing accessory kit" is gonna increase performance, like a hop-up kit. Seems like problems could arise from that though, what would the point even be, it's rev limited.

Anyway I'm exited to see how it plays out.

Harbor Freight really has been active lately, this is like their 3rd engine this year.

Will it bolt right in in place of a Predator 212? Same bolt pattern ? any one know
it should. the 5hp briggs flathead is the same bolt pattern. remember these motors are replacements for your generator, power washer log splitter TILLER etc etc. makes sense that the manufactures keep the bolt pattern so companies can get bids on power units for said equipment

I'm down for one engine. tired of all the classes (of 3-5 people). Will be hard to see my clone motors loose their value though. I still race a flathead when I can so.... Glad to see no can muffler as racers like the rumble and its the first thing people cry about before they it goes into $$$$ blueprinted engines. the Ducar from dyno-cams is 200 and has the flywheel don't see why this is $100 more.the gas tank, air filter, and exhaust would cost more than that top plate and carburetor. HF was making a profit selling the 212 for $99 so im guessing it cost them less than $10 to make before its boat ride from Asia and the shipping to the store, employees, lights, rent, etc.
looks like my tread Are the Predators killing the clone? might be more relevant than ever.

Good grief more 212s? Got the hemi, non hemi, Duncar, and Tillotson. every track has different rules. Gotta run stock muffler, gotta run weiner pipe, gotta run the big pipe. Stock air cleaner at one and after market air filters at the next. open spark plug and gotta run the stock spark plug. one place its a hobby class and the next place puts on an $800 money race with the motor. It is amazing how many of these are at my engine builders shop to be worked on for the people running the non money classes and hobby classes. My buddy claimed a motor in the Iowa Predator series and it had an illegal cam in it because of lack of tech. Clones are expensive but at least there is a mostly universal rules package for it.

The big question on weather this is a viable alternative for box stock classes is if there is any consistency in manufacturing, tolerances and parts. Otherwise it will be no better then the flathead, clone or preditor. Authough few seem to recognize it here, this consistency is what has allowed a stable rule set and price with the LO206.

Good grief more 212s? Got the hemi, non hemi, Duncar, and Tillotson. every track has different rules. Gotta run stock muffler, gotta run weiner pipe, gotta run the big pipe. Stock air cleaner at one and after market air filters at the next. open spark plug and gotta run the stock spark plug. one place its a hobby class and the next place puts on an $800 money race with the motor. It is amazing how many of these are at my engine builders shop to be worked on for the people running the non money classes and hobby classes. My buddy claimed a motor in the Iowa Predator series and it had an illegal cam in it because of lack of tech. Clones are expensive but at least there is a mostly universal rules package for it.
^^^^^^ this is the biggest problem in karting today. NKA AKRA clone, briggs, 212 (x 4 different rulesets)) and a light medium heavy super heavy jr beginner amateur class for each one. one motor please with same rules for all over the country. hobby/trophy and pro/$$$$ and keep it that way if you want to move from hobby to pro take your motor to the builder bring your wallet and tell em you wanna race pro. of course this makes total sense and will never take off

^^^^^^ this is the biggest problem in karting today. NKA AKRA clone, briggs, 212 (x 4 different rulesets)) and a light medium heavy super heavy jr beginner amateur class for each one. one motor please with same rules for all over the country. hobby/trophy and pro/$$$$ and keep it that way if you want to move from hobby to pro take your motor to the builder bring your wallet and tell em you wanna race pro. of course this makes total sense and will never take off
That's why I like out of the box, 5000 rpm rule and $150.00 claim, you start crying wanting a different filter or exhaust move up to the clone classes that allow it, if not adhere to the tracks rules and race

Ducar 212 $220 or Tillotson 212E $238 (Since that's what the Ghost 212 looks like its a better comparison than the Predator 224)
+ PZ Carburetor and Intake $50-100
+ Top Plate $15-20
+ Rev Limited Coil If it's just an analog Coil $15-20 or if it's like the Tillotson or Briggs PVL $250 or more.

At Minimum that $300 If you bought the parts to build this engine. Or it could be as high as $608

It looks like the Sidecover is different. It has an oil fill on top vs. the sides. Another benefit would be no mechanical governor and probably no low oil sensor, so it's less work to modify.

The Predator 212 Hemi and Non-Hemi, Ducar, and Tillotson 212E look like they are replaced by one engine. They took the best of both, Harbor Freights Low Prices and Distribution and the better engine from Ducar, and modified it a step above the rest. Most Predator OTB Classes have rpm limits in the rules, so the engine is suited to support current class rules. Their 224 is probably a contingency in case racers choose to support it instead, no replacement for displacement, which it has an advantage over most engines in the market. Regardless of the argument, more Predators are raced across the country than all the clones and other 212 combined.

It's half the price of the Briggs LO206 and probably has around the same power. Briggs is having supply issues, and the clones are only getting better. They pushed the Animal out of the dirt and left Briggs left open for another engine to enter the sprint market.

If they get the program going, we could see the Predator/Clone/Ghost go under one rule set like the Briggs LO206. I would like to see someone argue that having two or more different rule sets is good for karting. Pretty much was the first comment is more dilution, but I see the opposite. I see one engine across all types of 4-cycle karting going to one engine and one "stock" ruleset. Release the engine 6-8 months before 2023 to get advertised and organized. We could go back to the class structures like the Flathead with super stock, limited and open to make proper diversifications rather than 50 similar stock classes.

I wrote a lengthy blog on our website that goes into more thoughts and details. https://www.eccarburetors.com/blog.asp

Just my .02 but we're taking the idea seriously.
When the OHV class contains any OHV engine with a similar Cubic inch under one rule set. Then we'll see a return to "Stock" light/medium/heavy, with the Super stock, limited and SMB Open format. Till then, we'll keep 45 classes cause no one can learn from past mistakes. Everyone wants to play, but no one wants to pay, you pay one way or another down the road. It's that simple.

That's why I like out of the box, 5000 rpm rule and $150.00 claim, you start crying wanting a different filter or exhaust move up to the clone classes that allow it, if not adhere to the tracks rules and race
Our rules are 5500 rpm, adjust the governor and thats is. We can relocate the fuel tank and add top plate. Anyway my engine builder builds me a mean Stock Appearing and I pay good for his work , but when he only charges me $25 to set up my out of box Predator, I know I aint cheating.. Me and my buddies engines are right from the box.

Last edited:
What would be wrong with just making all OHV under one rule set, Animal, clone, Kholer, Honda, as long as they're Cubic inch is similar? Pick your poison and go from there. Guessing everyone would complain with Tech, the Techman would need to be able to tech multiple engines. But, most of them that have been around any amount of time probably still have flathead and Animal tech tools. It could bring a lot of engines sitting on shelves back out of retirement. Adjust rules as you go, that's what any governing body does for race engines. I'm guessing the heads would be the most controversial area. But, I'm sure that a lot of that could be mitigated.

Our rules are 5500 rpm, remove governor and thats is. We can relocate the fuel tank and add top plate. Anyway my engine builder builds me a mean Stock Appearing and I pay good for his work , but when he only charges me $25 to set up my out of box Predator, I know I aint cheating.. Me and my buddies engines are right from the box.
If it’s been touched by a builder and the governor removed as well as fuel tank and top plate it’s not “out of the box” ….

If it’s been touched by a builder and the governor removed as well as fuel tank and top plate it’s not “out of the box” ….
Yeah I goofed that up, governor is still intact just cant rev over 5500 on stand.. Ours still has factory tank, the track allows the relocation of the tank but we havent done that. All my engine guy does is adjust governor and add the chainguard. Im no engine guy at all, so I dont even fiddle with trying to adjust the governor, just drop it off at his house, he's local.

What would be wrong with just making all OHV under one rule set, Animal, clone, Kholer, Honda, as long as they're Cubic inch is similar? Pick your poison and go from there. Guessing everyone would complain with Tech, the Techman would need to be able to tech multiple engines. But, most of them that have been around any amount of time probably still have flathead and Animal tech tools. It could bring a lot of engines sitting on shelves back out of retirement. Adjust rules as you go, that's what any governing body does for race engines. I'm guessing the heads would be the most controversial area. But, I'm sure that a lot of that could be mitigated.
Remember they tried that with World Formula, it'll always one platform complaining

Box stock in KY has always been crazy. In the beginning every track assumed you would throw away the governor stuff. OK fine. Then came weenie pipes and open air cleaners. OK fine again. Then I am at a pretty big race, an old friend of mine set fast time at a big race but broke on his 2nd lap. He travels and races alone, I go to see if he needs help. Its a broken valve spring but its a 26 pound spring. And a 310 cam. This was common to the point to where the tracks went back to "Box Stock" with a governor and stock filter and exhaust. Its been better for the entry level guys but you can gradually see the scales tipping. I cannot see an answer better than buying a sealed motor from somebody like Box Stock Project as a track rule with the Predator quality control being so poor. Hopefully the Ghost deal addresses all of this but Im not real optimistic.

Remember they tried that with World Formula, it'll always one platform complaining
But, the Clone has changed significantly since then. Like when they were running them with Flatties and Animals and put the restrictors in the Animals. I'd say they're on a much more level playing field now. I'd say just put all the OHV's in of the same CI. People are leaning towards methanol for Clones anyway, and I'm sure there are more things that will change before too much longer. So it'll be much the same as an Animal. Already costs just as much, which was the reasoning for getting away from the Animal, or so they all claimed. I mean, Ford, Chevy, and Dodge have run engines against each other for years. Why can't we do the same in Karting?

Back