LO206 Cup - Sprint Racing Program & Technical - 2015

We ran CIK bodywork exclusively for a year or two in Gold Cup and then figured out that at long tracks the big nose on front helped us "suck up" in the draft. At Jacksonville we tested back to back on a Friday with CIK and then big nose with no other changes and picked up about 2mph in draft (drafting with same people). Translated into .1-.2 in lap times. If the 206's are running the full track at NCMP I have to think the big nose would be an advantage there too. Our testing, BTW, was with Pro Gas Junior at 320#.

DT

I understand and agree with this comment. One style will always be "more optimal" than another. I will say one thing, though. Open bodywork (tires, seat, wheels, etc.) allows anyone to show up and enter. If you mandate one bodywork or the other, you are eliminating some people from showing up right away. If this is for the better of the people running the other style, maybe it is worth it. I am under the belief (right or wrong) that leave it open and let anyone enter. If one is better than the other, people will migrate to one style. However, at least they will have the opportunity to run what they have.

If you want to get as many people as possible, I think you have to start with the biggest possible population.

Hey everyone, since the next call looks very focused on rules, David Cox and I put together some data on the rules being run nationwide. We looked at 118 different LO206 classes (every one we could find data on) to come up with some recommended rule sets for maximum commonality: http://kartrank.com/lo206-data

There is a lot of data there so I’ll copy the short version here:

Briggs LO206 Kid Kart
Ages:5-7
Engine:Briggs LO206 Junior (4100RPM limiter and #555728 slide)
Exhaust: Briggs Spec (RLV 5507/5506 header with RLV B91 (4104) silencer)
Clutch: Briggs Spec (Max-Torque #555727)
Tires: 4.5 Front/4.5 Rear (Compound per track, Bridgestone YLC/YDS or MG HZ (Red) if possible)
Minimum Weight: 200 lbs
Bodywork: CIK or Gold Cup

Briggs LO206 Rookie
Ages:8-12
Engine:Briggs LO206
Slide: Green
Clutch: Briggs Spec (Shoe clutches only)
Tires: 4.5 Front/4.5 Rear (Compound per track, Bridgestone YLC/YDS or MG HZ (Red) if possible)
Minimum Weight: 260 lbs

Briggs LO206 Junior
Ages:12-15
Slide: Yellow
Tires: 4.5 Front/6.0 Rear (Compound per track, Bridgestone YLC/YDS or MG HZ (Red) if possible)
Minimum Weight: 300 lbs

Briggs LO206 Senior
Ages:15+
Slide: Stock
Tires: 4.5 Front/7.1 Rear (Compound per track, Bridgestone YLC/YDS or MG HZ (Red) if possible)
Minimum Weight: 375 lbs

Briggs LO206 Masters
There are not enough Masters classes (only 5 nationwide) to make a recommendation. Of the classes that exist the rules were in line with LO206 Senior (except age), so there does not seem to be a compelling reason to offer a Masters class separate from Senior.

Hey everyone, since the next call looks very focused on rules, David Cox and I put together some data on the rules being run nationwide. We looked at 118 different LO206 classes (every one we could find data on) to come up with some recommended rule sets for maximum commonality: http://kartrank.com/lo206-data

Thanks Chris for posting the above information. We will use for a basis of rules discussion in this Wednesday night conf call.

Next meeting will be Wednesday November 19 at 8:00 pm eastern time.

Call in phone number = 605-562-0020
Participant code = 704 407 016 #

Everyone is welcome!

Agenda:

1) LO206 track directory update - ( 29 tracks listed to date )
2) New track Q & A
3) LO206 rule set
4) Chassis / Body work style specs
5) Promoting LO206 racing
6) Round Table discussion / meetings going forward

Steve
419-217-3881 cell
E Mail = Bakerracingeng@aol.com

Hey everyone, since the next call looks very focused on rules, David Cox and I put together some data on the rules being run nationwide. We looked at 118 different LO206 classes (every one we could find data on) to come up with some recommended rule sets for maximum commonality: http://kartrank.com/lo206-data...............................

Nice work on finding the commonalities. I think this is an important step. I wonder would Briggs extend their rules to cover these criteria and go beyond just the motor. That may not be popular with some in the short term but we absolutely need someone with enough influence to push for consistency and I feel Briggs are best poised to do so.

Next meeting will be Wednesday November 19 at 8:00 pm eastern time.

Call in phone number = 605-562-0020
Participant code = 704 407 016 #

Everyone is welcome!

Agenda:

1) LO206 track directory update - ( 29 tracks listed to date )
2) New track Q & A
3) LO206 rule set - http://www.briggsandstratton.com/en...Junior 206 Engine Class Regulations.pdf?la=en

View this site for the 29 tracks and series racing the LO206 http://www.racingwhere.com/sprint-racing/series/all
If you know of other tracks racing LO206 e mail me or Richard Thom at Racingwhere web site so he can add more tracks.

Steve
419-217-3881 cell

I joined the call late last night. Someone spoke about having a 20+ year old daughter for whom 375 is too high of a weight. As a driver who can hop on the scales with an unweighted kart and dip below 300 without trying, 375 is a bit of a reach as well.

Is it unreasonable to suggest offering Lite and Heavy and run them on track together unless numbers justify splitting them? If 375 is non-negotiable for some club members.

I bet it would only serve to increase participation, let the flyweights go faster and thus make the 206 more attractive.

Wish I could have been involved in this discussion. Wednesday nights are already booked for me. Steve's teleconference calls are very insightful and it's great to see those in our industry working together, sharing ideas, technical discussions, etc.

Thanks,
Brian Carlson

I agree with SteveK51's recommendation. When we initially ran the LO206 at 103rd St in Jacksonville (before it was a WKA class), we ran the LO206 and the clones together at 350 lbs. For us, even that required a bunch of lead to be added to the kart.

I joined the call late last night. Someone spoke about having a 20+ year old daughter for whom 375 is too high of a weight. As a driver who can hop on the scales with an unweighted kart and dip below 300 without trying, 375 is a bit of a reach as well.

Is it unreasonable to suggest offering Lite and Heavy and run them on track together unless numbers justify splitting them? If 375 is non-negotiable for some club members.

I bet it would only serve to increase participation, let the flyweights go faster and thus make the 206 more attractive.

No it's not unreasonable. Matter of fact...as a grown man who is slightly overweight, but driver and kart still comes in at a mere 355 lbs, I REFUSE to strap on 20 lbs of lead to race in this class. American men average 5.9 inches tall and 191 lbs. Add that 191 lbs to a 160 lb kart and you come in around 350 lbs. Add some gear to that (helmet, suit, gloves, etc) I'm thinking somewhere around 360 lbs. That should be what we're shooting for. 350 sounds even better.

i also agree....our local track runs at the 360 weight and majority of the racers have a lot of lead bolted on. i weigh 180 pounds and have to add lead. the GC came this year and the locals had to add another 15lbs. i missed the explanation on why the LO206 has to run at a WKA event at 375lb and the PG206 is at 360lb. i wouldnt dilute the LO206 class by having two weight classes and then combining them. have two seperate weight classes, one at 335 and leave the other at 375 or something heavy for two championships. some racers can swing both weights.

Thanks again to everyone who participated in last nights LO206 meeting, we had 10 total callers in this meeting. Good round table discussions about LO206 chassis specs and future direction.

November 19th agenda:
1) LO206 track directory update - http://www.racingwhere.com/sprint-racing/series/all
2) New track Q & A
3) LO206 rule set --------- http://www.briggsandstratton.com/eng...ions.pdf?la=en

Still in the process of developing a directory of all the tracks in US and Canada that are racing the LO206 and their classes. Currently we have over 60 tracks participating in the the LO206 program. Over the course of the next few weeks Richard Thom from http://www.racingwhere.com/sprint-racing/series/all , will be populating this site of all the LO206 tracks.

If you know of any tracks, e mail me or post on this thread.

Next meeting - TBA

Thanks again for all the support!

Steve
419-2167-3881 cell

Updated http://www.racingwhere.com/sprint-racing/series/all with 57 tracks / series racing the LO206.

If you know other tracks or series e mail me or Richard Thom so he can add them.

Thanks
Steve
e mail = Bakerracingeng@aol.com

Might have missed it but I didn´t see Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC. They run 206 in their Powerade Karting Championship. You might also want to contact Hampton Roads Kart Club in Hampton, VA. They run both ovl and sprint and they are still using the flatheads for some classes and will eventually have to replace them.

Might have missed it but I didn´t see Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC. They run 206 in their Powerade Karting Championship. You might also want to contact Hampton Roads Kart Club in Hampton, VA. They run both ovl and sprint and they are still using the flatheads for some classes and will eventually have to replace them.

Thanks rainman, I will pass on to Richard Thom so he can add CMP track.

Steve

Rainman - Richard has it listed on all tracks listing------------ http://www.racingwhere.com/sprint-racing/tracks/all

There are 83 race tracks racing the LO206 listed so far-------------- impressive!

Back