Take a guess how much HP gain with illegal springs !!!

To the results

5900 0
6300 + .7 HP
6600 + 1.7 HP
6900 + 1.9 HP

Enjoyed the feedback and predictions
Some very good predictions !!! perhaps others have played in this play pen before LOL

3 pulls on each spring set done within 30 minutes of each other. No lash adjustments (just springs changes) 3 pull average used for each set. Very clean data with no overlapping of any kind between sets. Very confident in the data set

I believe this helps prove as some have mentioned when you start losing control of the valves you lose HP way before you hear it with the ear or the motor starts laying down so bad you notice it , missing etc. I do believe cam profile has a role in this and another grind style cam may not produce the same results. When time allows I will be doing more testing in this area for sure and be running some springs under the max LBS allowed to see how bad they do.

thats more along the lines of what i thought, my reasoning was because with a std grind the heavier springs help the valve follow the profile better, because with lighter springs you are floating the valve way before you ever feel it on the track, this is because the upward side of the cam is throwing the valve higher then the max lift of the cam, thus loosing control of the valve. 1.9 h.p is a huge gain in my mind also, but not unbelievable for me at all.

If you could only put a stronger spring on one valve, which valve your put it on?

On the exh as the piston chases it, if the intake floats you lose cyl pressure, the exh floats, it kisses the piston. A lot of times the exh is heavier too even though it is smaller.

Mr Angry, "I do believe cam profile has a role in this" YES! HUGE roll! When running stock eliminator cams in drag racing people say they have square lobes and they're not much off, this really produces "valve toss" and the difference between Bullet or another good cam from a no name is huge. Two cams with same lift and duration and yet one breaks valvetrain parts and the other lasts....Ramp speed and lifter velocity or valvetrain velocity are places where big improvements can be made in v8's. In these little clones I'd assume that the effect would be inversely proportional.

Thanks for doing a test like this, only certain people will "get it" or can appreciate what the test actually tells. To bad you don't have a clear valvecover and a highspeed camcorder, REALLY interesting stuff goes on during valve float/valve toss/etc.
Got me thinking..wonder if there is anything on youtube?

So...you proved that the engine was limited by spring pressure. 2hp gain on a 12hp engine, that's 1/6th of the hp! In other words, a 400hp v8 would be a 466.66hp engine!

Very cool!

And why do you think I didn't attempt to answer the question? Could it be that I'm not stupid enough to try? I only answer questions when I have data.

That's the point, Al.
The only guy who knows the answers (unless others have done this and I can't believe nobody else has thought of this -- great idea BTW) is the one asking us to GUESS what we think is going to happen...
It's about perception VS reality...lighten up already.... <smh>

When time allows I will be doing more testing in this area for sure and be running some springs under the max LBS allowed to see how bad they do.

Awesome test. 1.9 hp is HUGE. Holy moly that is way more than I guessed. Can't wait for the next installment of show me the HP...

Thats alot more than i thought also..i knew springs were a limiting factor but had no idea it was that bad. Im interested in seeing the next test

I've seen very similar results. Why not change the cam grind and control the valve float. I'll stop there. I may have said to much.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
too funny...

Ron07, if people don't know, you didn't say too much. For those already with an inclining..you just turned on a light LOL.

Back