Tire temp readings

Show me where I said heat didnt matter?
If I wear out a rf or rr/lr I dont care as long as we are fastest.
In fact all through my sons plate days we ran a 7 in rs tires, lighter weight, less power, lower rotating mass
And I dont care about destroying tires
You already talked about not caring about destroying tires, so who cares? Find a way to run 6" tires and you win by this hypothesis. Wait, I thought heat didnt mat

In the 80 and 90s when chassis were basically shopping carts with a number plate sliding around the track with 2 piece rims and all the other prehistoric stuff yes you are correct sir. 100%. But now if you can just open your mind up a tad bit ill tell u a secret everyone who races and those who do not including me already knows. Things are about "consistent precision", my two favorite words combined. Today's tires chassis, technology ect ect. Karts are literally rolling around the track with Nascar level ammunition. National guys at least the rest are catching on unless they have a hard headed old timer stuck in there ways of course wether Pavement or dirt, It dont matter. They are trying to hook up the cart using 100% of the tread patch as much as possible. This is the last time I'm replying to you on this subject. So here's a few things to consider besides the fact everyone on here as nicely disagreed with you. Why do micron 5s have 4 tire temp leads available for all karts. It dont say anything about dont use on dirt. Also go to YouTube and look up the DNQ kart series. Best of the best drivers and teams camera commentators ect. Pretty much mini Nascar except they cuss and have fun. Its the best. Anyway they talk about these types of things all time. Hang up and watch that. Dont wait on me for proof cause I have givin you plenty. Good day sir.
IMO, the more information one gathers, the better. Even if it isnt immediately useable, if a person tracks tire temps through a season with track surface info, they could review at the end of the season to learn what may or may not have worked. "In God we trust, all others bring data."

If a person had a way to consistently check the tires as they leave the track, there could be learning there of what compound, duro, bite, preps etc worked in what ways. A soft tire might build an additional 10 degrees of temp over a harder tire on a given track surface. Depending on your results, maybe it points to a different tire the next time in that same scenario. Personally, I dont have tons of tires sitting around to try and use, but if I did, you can bet your hindparts that I'd be checking temps.

IMO, the more information one gathers, the better. Even if it isnt immediately useable, if a person tracks tire temps through a season with track surface info, they could review at the end of the season to learn what may or may not have worked. "In God we trust, all others bring data."

If a person had a way to consistently check the tires as they leave the track, there could be learning there of what compound, duro, bite, preps etc worked in what ways. A soft tire might build an additional 10 degrees of temp over a harder tire on a given track surface. Depending on your results, maybe it points to a different tire the next time in that same scenario. Personally, I dont have tons of tires sitting around to try and use, but if I did, you can bet your hindparts that I'd be checking temps.
And you would find out the same thing we did, tire temps on dirt oval kart are inconsistent.
All you have to do is look at the tire to tell if it was too soft or too hard, spend the time doing things that matter, and that will make you faster

Reactions: jdg
Shows you know nothing, we are trying to be as fast as possible with the LEAST amount of tire on the track.
You might wanna look at some of the pictures of our chassis posted here, I still answer about 4 pm's on setups daily, not including the texts I get from guys at the track, while we are at the track, you see we still race just as we have for the last 20 years.
Everyone disagreed? think you might wanna look at that again, this post was made over a year ago and no one yet has said taking kart tire temps on dirt ovals has said taking temps helped them win a race.
Mychron 4 and 5 dont have tire temp leads, they have a dual temp ports but not for tire temps
I race with some of the top teams in karting, guess what you dont see them do?
The picture of a fun kart engine in your avatar tells me all I need to know
Heres a kart race at the track I built and ran from 1999-2004, pay attention to the end and see how many are taking tire temps lol
Thats right I built and ran one of this nations premier kart tracks
If u don't need that much tire or don't use it why lug it around the track with u?

And you would find out the same thing we did, tire temps on dirt oval kart are inconsistent.
All you have to do is look at the tire to tell if it was too soft or too hard, spend the time doing things that matter, and that will make you faster
I'd argue that having the data, even inconsistent data, is better than the alternative. In terms of last second decision making it may not make a difference, but to have information is never, NEVER a bad thing. It may not have worked for you, you may not have used it in the ways that it needed to, you may have decided that it didnt matter for your program, BUT it can not hurt.

We do now its the micron 5

I'd argue that having the data, even inconsistent data, is better than the alternative. In terms of last second decision making it may not make a difference, but to have information is never, NEVER a bad thing. It may not have worked for you, you may not have used it in the ways that it needed to, you may have decided that it didnt matter for your program, BUT it can not hurt.
go to any big race in the country, you'll quickly find out that the top guys dont take temps, inconsistent data isnt any good to anyone.

smaller tire doesnt dissipate the heat fast enough, remember, over 80% of our RF tires never touch the ground, and you dont want it to
I get that but if you use the whole patch the heat would even out and you wouldn't need to disapate it. Right hear is where reading tire temps would help. Cause this would already be know

go to any big race in the country, you'll quickly find out that the top guys dont take temps, inconsistent data isnt any good to anyone.
Top guys dont have to budget tires through a season, so who cares if they are obliterating tires every run. A guy like me has to make 3 sets last a season, which means if I can find a way to save tires by not getting them so hot, then it may benefit my program. Again, it may not help YOU, but that doesnt mean its total BS.

Top guys dont have to budget tires through a season, so who cares if they are obliterating tires every run. A guy like me has to make 3 sets last a season, which means if I can find a way to save tires by not getting them so hot, then it may benefit my program. Again, it may not help YOU, but that doesnt mean its total BS.
Right, and if youll spend the time to look at tires you'll soon learn when a tires too soft or too hard, and sometimes it is what it is as long as the laptimes are where they are suppose to be

Screenshot_20201027-141230_Chrome.jpg

I get that but if you use the whole patch the heat would even out and you wouldn't need to disapate it. Right hear is where reading tire temps would help. Cause this would already be know
WE DONT WANT THE WHOLE TIRE TOUCHING the track, what part of that dont you understand?

Right, and if youll spend the time to look at tires you'll soon learn when a tires too soft or too hard, and sometimes it is what it is as long as the laptimes are where they are suppose to be
I know how to look at tires. Seeing the result does not always prove the cause. To solve the result of using up tires, it could be beneficial to know where and when the tire builds heat. It may be what it is for your program, but for mine, I have no problem giving up a little time to save some of the good in those tires for another night. Not everyone can bolt a new or nearly new set for every race. Being able to catch an abuse on a tire through heat BEFORE it is hurt, can only be a benefit.

Back