WAKE UPTrack Promotors

Let me start off by making this statement. The predator class was put in place to promote karting. It was to be a low cost class for introductory into the sport. It was working great in the beginning. Everyone was was complaining about the cost of the clone, although it wasn’t all that bad if ya did some shopping. Allowing changes to the clone is what took the cost up. Now that is happening to the predator.

Over the past 3years here in central pa. we have had a stead fast program of the “out of the box” predator. Minor changes have been allowed. Changes, that the beginner in the sport, that him/her self can do without having to send the engine out to be done thus keeping the cost down as to not go in the direction of the clone. The only problem i have with the program is the class was only to pay on special events a total of $50 dollars. As in all other ways to figure out how to get around that low cost payout now there is recruitment for lap money. Welcome aboard all the big guns and, oh ya, all you beginners are now “also rans”.

For the most part, with the exception of the lap money and if they don't stop that there will be fewer karts down the road, the program is affordable to the beginner. Wake up Johnny. You are the one who pushed this “lets kill the clone concept!!”
I get calls and mail all the time about changes and how it will affect the engine. Changes that cost money. Promotors are allowing it. Do they think that EVERYONE can do those changes themselves? Did they think that it wasn’t going to add to the cost of the engine which is why the class was started. No. They listened to a few know it all so called builders “back yard at best” and took their word for it that it would be better for the program.

Here are the mistakes in order that hurt the clone that the predator is following simply because promotors don't understand that keeping the engine stock is the best for the program financially:

Exhaust change
Carb change
Cam change
Spring change
Air box exchange
Clutch change
Remove governor
Hello Clone!!!

I know this post will go right over the heads of many but i felt the need to inform the beginners where it is going. You might as well just go out and spend the money on a good clone instead of trying to keep up with the Jones
Absolutely the truth.

If anyone can claim engines what’s to stop a couple buddies to build up their engines and claim each other every week and just swapping engines back after leaving the track. It all comes down to teching engines.

If anyone can claim engines what’s to stop a couple buddies to build up their engines and claim each other every week and just swapping engines back after leaving the track. It all comes down to teching engines.

Easy to solve. Claim priority goes in reverse order from finish...

Nothing, If you claim the engine, they still get the win and the prize money. You get an illegal engine.

Let me start off by making this statement. The predator class was put in place to promote karting. It was to be a low cost class for introductory into the sport. It was working great in the beginning. Everyone was was complaining about the cost of the clone, although it wasn’t all that bad if ya did some shopping. Allowing changes to the clone is what took the cost up. Now that is happening to the predator.

Over the past 3years here in central pa. we have had a stead fast program of the “out of the box” predator. Minor changes have been allowed. Changes, that the beginner in the sport, that him/her self can do without having to send the engine out to be done thus keeping the cost down as to not go in the direction of the clone. The only problem i have with the program is the class was only to pay on special events a total of $50 dollars. As in all other ways to figure out how to get around that low cost payout now there is recruitment for lap money. Welcome aboard all the big guns and, oh ya, all you beginners are now “also rans”.

For the most part, with the exception of the lap money and if they don't stop that there will be fewer karts down the road, the program is affordable to the beginner. Wake up Johnny. You are the one who pushed this “lets kill the clone concept!!”
I get calls and mail all the time about changes and how it will affect the engine. Changes that cost money. Promotors are allowing it. Do they think that EVERYONE can do those changes themselves? Did they think that it wasn’t going to add to the cost of the engine which is why the class was started. No. They listened to a few know it all so called builders “back yard at best” and took their word for it that it would be better for the program.

Here are the mistakes in order that hurt the clone that the predator is following simply because promotors don't understand that keeping the engine stock is the best for the program financially:

Exhaust change
Carb change
Cam change
Spring change
Air box exchange
Clutch change
Remove governor
Hello Clone!!!

I know this post will go right over the heads of many but i felt the need to inform the beginners where it is going. You might as well just go out and spend the money on a good clone instead of trying to keep up with the Jones
I agree I have said it for years predator is the biggest cheating class going.

I just had this conversation last night, why not run a affordable race prepared like Tilloston 212GT or similar motor.

https://www.eccarburetors.com/212GT-NEW-EC-212GT-Racing-Engine_p_1804.html
If people would just keep their hands off the motor and work on set up it would be a miracle!

I think you can consolidate classes too running 26 classes is crazy. Would see better kart count in each class. But less ' entries ' , I can see both sides.

Tough on a tech guy to monitor up to 5 motors in one night , clone,predator, animal, flathead. Some have a yamaha 2stroke class.

Back to the post. Predator class has gone down the tubes. Agreed.

Do you actually think that the big guns are going to enter a predator money race with an out of the box engine. They are going to enter for the win. I guarantee you their engine has been sent out for blueprint.
They will use several different classes as testing for the real $ race

I'm not missing the point. It's just easy to see how the predator racers are being used and it's bs. Hell, the announcers are all but telling you over the loud speakers on Friday and Saturday if anyone actually listens. Thats exactly why all my boys and several other multi kart teams we race with are selling everything after the season is over. We're not going to be forced into buying high priced motors to race for decent money.
Kart racing is not a way to make a living, except in rare cases. But Having fun is the main goal. If you want to race for the money there are plenty of classes that pay big money. predator was brought in to fill a gap between pro driver and kids, adults who are starting out and people who want to race on a budget.
It is not about equal distribution of gate fees!. It will go the same way of the clone if big money is put into it.
Now there is a lot of truth about the predator class being the biggest class because it is cheap, easy, to run that class. Why try to change it. If you want money, buy a clone! easy solution . Sorry if I sound a little mean but I have been around racing for more years than most of you have been alive. I have seen the same logic used in many different types of racing. It always ! loses a lot of drivers, and drives the price of racing up.
A true beginners class should be out of the box Predator. Period! And for those who wish to have fun karting as a hobby, same rules.
The very second that you put money in a class. There is a certain element of people that will definitely take advantage of it. If you put money up, You must have a protest and tear down rule.

Kart racing is not a way to make a living, except in rare cases. But Having fun is the main goal. If you want to race for the money there are plenty of classes that pay big money. predator was brought in to fill a gap between pro driver and kids, adults who are starting out and people who want to race on a budget.
It is not about equal distribution of gate fees!. It will go the same way of the clone if big money is put into it.
Now there is a lot of truth about the predator class being the biggest class because it is cheap, easy, to run that class. Why try to change it. If you want money, buy a clone! easy solution . Sorry if I sound a little mean but I have been around racing for more years than most of you have been alive. I have seen the same logic used in many different types of racing. It always ! loses a lot of drivers, and drives the price of racing up.
A true beginners class should be out of the box Predator. Period! And for those who wish to have fun karting as a hobby, same rules.
The very second that you put money in a class. There is a certain element of people that will definitely take advantage of it. If you put money up, You must have a protest and tear down rule.
Perfect example is the 604 crate engine late model class. Started out as a more affordable option to race late models for guys on a budget. Little by little the purses went up, so guys with more money started getting in it. Fast forward to today, I have heard of 5 or 6 races this year that were $15,000, $20,000 and even a couple that were more than that. The engine may still be the same ol 604, but you wont find a car older than 2016 in most of those A features. Money always comes when purses go up.

I agree on keeping the money off the predator class. All it takes is $500 to bring folks out the wood works on a weekend without big money shows going on. The best way to give back to the predator class is have parts giveaways such as: predator engines, clutches, wheels, tires, prep, bodies.

I agree on keeping the money off the predator class. All it takes is $500 to bring folks out the wood works on a weekend without big money shows going on. The best way to give back to the predator class is have parts giveaways such as: predator engines, clutches, wheels, tires, prep, bodies.
For me personally, I dont want anything back but the banner. Our local track doesnt do trophies but they do a small 2'x2' sign that says "Feature winner, xxx class". I dont care about the $$ they give us, but I know a lot of guys want the money. I want something to hang on the wall and tell stories about. Who gives a rip where you won an extra $50?

Yep 500$ is the magic number . That's enough to draw anyone that races other classes . Spend a thousand Or a least a new engine too win 500 .
I think the cats out of the bag already . Local events or groups are the key too reining it in.

I think alot of people would be ok with the bigger guys racing predator. Running against people like Cody, Keister, Brown, Missy to name a few local would just make you have to learn to be faster (drive better). People could learn a lot by following drivers like around the track and not have to buy a $1200 motor to do it
your right . and the lap money is all outside money the entry fees are still kept low plus the lap money shows are not point races . I am Awake , Don remember I got the predator class started in this area . and left alone it will stay strong and keep growing .

Do you actually think that the big guns are going to enter a predator money race with an out of the box engine. They are going to enter for the win. I guarantee you their engine has been sent out for blueprint.
and if there were as you claim ,,BLUEPRINTED ENGINES entered we beat those motors with a stock right out of the box Predator 60363 Engine,,,,, ASK Trevor Kerstetter

Left alone means just that left alone not tweak somethings just because a certain few thinks it's the right move and needed, If the payouts get to high it doesn't matter where the money comes from it will ruin the class.

Clone 2.0, I give it three years at most...
its already been 3 years RPM LIMIT ,,, 33 TIRES ONLY ,, and the TRACK CLAIMING RULE are the 3 things that will keep it strong The reason Clone 1.0 didn't last is because Racers and track promotors just kept allowing more and more Mods. which lead to more and more RPMs 5000 to now over 7000 in 2009 $400.00 price tag in 2020 $1400.00 that's why Predators are growing I do like your Optimism though.

Last edited:
Everyone wants "out the box" but the Briggs 206 motor been right there the entire time. No one wants it on a dirt oval in the southeast.....

Everyone wants "out the box" but the Briggs 206 motor been right there the entire time. No one wants it on a dirt oval in the southeast.....
No one wants it anywhere for dirt oval, that's because they were to late to the game with it the only reason it came out was to try to stop the clone from taking off even more, and it didn't work.

Perfect example is the 604 crate engine late model class. Started out as a more affordable option to race late models for guys on a budget. Little by little the purses went up, so guys with more money started getting in it. Fast forward to today, I have heard of 5 or 6 races this year that were $15,000, $20,000 and even a couple that were more than that. The engine may still be the same ol 604, but you wont find a car older than 2016 in most of those A features. Money always comes when purses go up.
I saw on the hunt the front youtube channel, that they took there crate motor car to a big money race not that long ago, and they frequently go to big money races and it is now a class where people are putting a whole bunch of more money into it than when they started the class.

Back