Are Predators killing the clone?

At my local track they were teching some of the predators last night. The local track promoter said they are randomly choosing 3 classes and that they will tech the top 2 from that class. If one of the top 2 is illegal they will tech the person that finished 3rd.
If they do predator the way they used to, it's pull the carb and go-no-go the carb and intake. They pull the valve cover and check the springs, and that's it. Not enough in my opinion.

If they do predator the way they used to, it's pull the carb and go-no-go the carb and intake. They pull the valve cover and check the springs, and that's it. Not enough in my opinion.
If they do anymore than that it will take a long time. I don’t disagree that that’s not enough but I understand from a track standpoint on why they don’t want to do a bunch of stuff because the equipment to check stuff with is expensive and some stuff takes a while but on the other hand they are losing more and more racers just because they won’t tech more. They didn’t have quarter midgets this time at our track which is usually about 4 and some people were on vacation and it was hot but we only had 74 karts. Last year at the end of the year race which is a big race there was over 200 I wouldn’t be surprised if this year there are only 130 if not less.

they should never do that. A clone and a predator both come with 10.8 lb springs. if you check the springs then you establish a rule and that would open the predator to allow 10.8 lb aftermarket springs and its all down hill from there. you cannot establish no go gauges or heights etc. it allows blueprinting it will become the clone. check rpm and allow claims anything else and its the clone. the box stock project was supposed to be a claim rule but they established tech and now they cost 1400. just like the animal.

they should never do that. A clone and a predator both come with 10.8 lb springs. if you check the springs then you establish a rule and that would open the predator to allow 10.8 lb aftermarket springs and its all down hill from there. you cannot establish no go gauges or heights etc. it allows blueprinting it will become the clone. check rpm and allow claims anything else and its the clone. the box stock project was supposed to be a claim rule but they established tech and now they cost 1400. just like the animal.
We are allowed 10.8 Springs, top plate, replace stock air filter, run header pipe with rlv muffler, remove low oil sensor and remove govener and thats it. No RPM rule and no gear rule

We are allowed 10.8 Springs, top plate, replace stock air filter, run header pipe with rlv muffler, remove low oil sensor and remove govener and thats it. No RPM rule and no gear rule
LOL

And somebody thought the Carolina Predators were bad!

So when you say "replace the stock air filter" are you saying pull the air box and run a filter adapter and filter?

LOL

And somebody thought the Carolina Predators were bad!

So when you say "replace the stock air filter" are you saying pull the air box and run a filter adapter and filter?
We replace stock air filter box with regualr curcular air filter. Throw a filter adapter on there and k and n filter.

What’s the easiest way to tell a 212 from a 196?
Rules are AKRA in “clone” classes. I believe some folks to be running a 212. - non hemi. I’m back in after 20 years out, seems like finding a good tech program at a track is more important than building an engine. - no replacement for displacement.

The harbour freight engine are laser etched with model numbers .
If they are ground off that an indication .
The top plate mounts at the rear are angled different .

The BSP was originally brought in to replace the flathead, not be a claim or spec motor. People tend to believe the internet too much instead of believing in facts.
Theres lots of engines winning at the biggest races in the country not even close to $1400, and theres some thats well over $1400, its a persons choice to use who he feels gives him the best. Not everyone pays $1400 to win.

The BSP was originally brought in to replace the flathead, not be a claim or spec motor. People tend to believe the internet too much instead of believing in facts.
Theres lots of engines winning at the biggest races in the country not even close to $1400, and theres some thats well over $1400, its a persons choice to use who he feels gives him the best. Not everyone pays $1400 to win.
my recollection is the Animal was the flathead replacement and engines quickly became 1500. from builders. then the Box stock Project came in and started the Box Stock Project and a spec engine called the clone could be bought for $125.00 nothing could be done to it (i.e. BOX STOCK) and there was a claimer rule. then came rules then came cams and blueprinting and flywheels etc. and 800 + motors. i have found the current average price of a national level clone to be around $1350-1400.

where am i wrong in all of this? please explain what "REALLY" happened as the clone was Not a replacement for the flathead

my recollection is the Animal was the flathead replacement and engines quickly became 1500. from builders. then the Box stock Project came in and started the Box Stock Project and a spec engine called the clone could be bought for $125.00 nothing could be done to it (i.e. BOX STOCK) and there was a claimer rule. then came rules then came cams and blueprinting and flywheels etc. and 800 + motors. i have found the current average price of a national level clone to be around $1350-1400.

where am i wrong in all of this? please explain what "REALLY" happened as the clone was Not a replacement for the flathead
Wrong, the first clones were harbor freight, BSP or Mr Simms was trying to import a better engine out of the box, but the BSP rules were the first rules ever written for the clones that had a numerical value, and those rules were written before BSP engines came in, he just tried to give the average Karter a fighing chance, without the crap shoot the blue clones were.
They were just like the predator, one Box a hero, another a Zero
But the harbor freight blue clones are what started it all

^^^
Correct .
The animal was briggs idea of a better mouse trap corporate choice .
WKA and IKF had a hand in there too .

What’s the easiest way to tell a 212 from a 196?
Rules are AKRA in “clone” classes. I believe some folks to be running a 212. - non hemi. I’m back in after 20 years out, seems like finding a good tech program at a track is more important than building an engine. - no replacement for displacement.
the non hemi 212 has horizontal tabs at the front of the block to mount the stock gas tank. Clones and hemis use slanted tabs.

^^^
Correct .
The animal was briggs idea of a better mouse trap corporate choice .
WKA and IKF had a hand in there too .
Wonder how I know 🤔

Attachments

• Me_zps97b5d718.jpg
    Me_zps97b5d718.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 47
i thought the clone or BSP or harbor freight engine was all started because the price of a blue printed animal was keeping people out of karting. Is that wrong? i remember their were claim rules on the box stock yellow motor YES NO? then there were complaints about the flywheel and the cam and then there was tech and the claim rule vanished because nobody wants a claim rule in a blueprinted engine class. WKA was all about briggs motors and the box stock project (AKRA) that eventually morphed into the clone. NO?

Back