Are Predators killing the clone?

i thought the clone or BSP or harbor freight engine was all started because the price of a blue printed animal was keeping people out of karting. Is that wrong? i remember their were claim rules on the box stock yellow motor YES NO? then there were complaints about the flywheel and the cam and then there was tech and the claim rule vanished because nobody wants a claim rule in a blueprinted engine class. WKA was all about briggs motors and the box stock project (AKRA) that eventually morphed into the clone. NO?
You are mixing the 2 together, the Blue clone was around a few years before BSP was even a thing.
The call for the end of production of the flathead had us looking elsewhere for engines, the animal was already out then, a little cheaper than the flathead but still up there.
The flywheel on the blue clones was what started that discussion.
Harbor freight killed the blue clone, because of guys blowing them up and returning them.
Right before HF changed the blue engines, Jimmy Simms who already had wrote the "BSP" rules started importing a clone that was closer one to the other out of the box.
The not keeping them stock killed that class, just as the predator will go if it's not kept completely stock like out of the box, RPM max rule, claim rule and the track swapping engines with the winner if they win 3 straight

either way the predator seems to be kicking the clone out of business as the kart counts at a recent points race were
350 clone 4 karts
clone 375 8 karts
predator 350 14 karts
predator 375 18 karts
looks as if the clone is becoming extinct around here

either way the predator seems to be kicking the clone out of business as the kart counts at a recent points race were
350 clone 4 karts
clone 375 8 karts
predator 350 14 karts
predator 375 18 karts
looks as if the clone is becoming extinct around here
Yeah I was at godspeed as well.
Threat of rain kept several away.
Some don't like it etc...

350 clone 4 karts
clone 375 8 karts
predator 350 14 karts
predator 375 18 karts
looks as if the clone is becoming extinct
Several people dropped out of 350 clone for a few different reasons.
1- they had no chance to improve their finishing spot in the points.
2 - a few people solely focused on the champ $ race
3 - a few people raced predator as the field is larger with a better payback

Several people dropped out of 350 clone for a few different reasons.
1- they had no chance to improve their finishing spot in the points.
2 - a few people solely focused on the champ $ race
3 - a few people raced predator as the field is larger with a better payback
Yeah points races now are nothing but attendance trophies.
I'm working with the pole sitter in Jr Champ Saturday

This is my local track clone count vs predator Usually we have a few more clone karts but usually predator medium has a bunch more aswell but we never have a full heavy class anymore. We also usually have a lot of double enterys but not this weekend.
Clone 300
1. 75 Andrew Hillian Sr
2. 2B Nakota Bach
3. 3 Justin Larimore
4. 00 Jon Odom
DNS 22 Dusty Lovett

Clone 350
1. 51E Zachary Evans
2. 29 Robby Morisset
3. 75 Andrew Hillian Sr
4. 00 Jon Odom
5. 4C Cody Thorton
6. 1M Mike Casteel
DNS 22 Dusty Lovett

Clone 400
1. 99 Tony Johnson
2. 6 Bryan Neely
3. 4C Cody thorton
4. 3 Jeff Fohn
5. 13 Ted Smith
6. 103 Matt Hancock
7. 7 David Stauffer
8. 33 Chad Smith

Predator Lights
1. 8 Emmit Neely
2. 34 Lennie Huse
3. 19A Dustin Hill
4. 5 Allen Hill
5. 57 Roann Smith
6. 10 Brennon Douglas
7. 83 Richard Hill
8. 88 Max Compton
9. 85 Rachelle Rolland
10. 03 Autumn Kidwell
11. 21 Sydney Douglas
12. 5RT Taylor Dotson

Predator Medium
1. 51E Zachary Evans
2. 3 Cade Messerly
3. 03 Sherman Hudson
4. 10 Chris Douglas
5. 161 Josh Shaner
DNS 5RT Kevin Dotson
85 Craig Rolland

When any new motor option is introduced ( in this case predator ) it will start off slow, then the field fillers guy's that are stuck near the back of the pack in other classes ( in this case clone ) will jump ship thinking they can improve there finishing place closer to the front, so the clone class suffers a little and the predator will increase, until they figure out there not doing any better by switching classes. That happened here last season some now clone classes are right back with good counts again while the predator is still drawing decent numbers as well.

The track we race on every week went to the Hoosier Predator Series. Stock predator on Hoosier D20 treads. They only have time on race night to run one class of adult karts, so the clone class was shut down to run the predators. Other tracks in the area that switched to all Hoosier Predator rules say their kart counts have gone up every race because of the cheaper engines. Our track has lost a lot of karts. We only get 7 or 8 karts now. I have not decided yet if I like the change or not. The engines are cheaper at $99 with a coupon but the tires cost more. We have only been able to run one kart this year, I ordered tires on wheels back in February….. still waiting. 3 races left in the season we probably won’t get the second kart on the track. The class is SLOW! A lot of the fans that come to watch have lost interest in the adult classes because it is too slow. Last week they let a driver come out with his old clone kart on maxxis tires. He stayed a half a lap behind for the green flag, and before halfway through the race he was running up front. On a yellow he backed off again to a half a lap behind and still caught back up. I do say these rules make it more challenging. It is all setup and driving. The karts are evenly matched so you don’t have the few big money guys running up front every week, it is s lot more competitive. Other tracks we race at have an out of box class. They typically don’t have as many karts as the clone classes, but it is close in numbers. I think the predator is just like any racing, right now it is a cheaper way to get on the track. How long until drivers nature comes out and they start asking for rules changes to allow them to run faster?

The track we race on every week went to the Hoosier Predator Series. Stock predator on Hoosier D20 treads. They only have time on race night to run one class of adult karts, so the clone class was shut down to run the predators. Other tracks in the area that switched to all Hoosier Predator rules say their kart counts have gone up every race because of the cheaper engines. Our track has lost a lot of karts. We only get 7 or 8 karts now. I have not decided yet if I like the change or not. The engines are cheaper at $99 with a coupon but the tires cost more. We have only been able to run one kart this year, I ordered tires on wheels back in February….. still waiting. 3 races left in the season we probably won’t get the second kart on the track. The class is SLOW! A lot of the fans that come to watch have lost interest in the adult classes because it is too slow. Last week they let a driver come out with his old clone kart on maxxis tires. He stayed a half a lap behind for the green flag, and before halfway through the race he was running up front. On a yellow he backed off again to a half a lap behind and still caught back up. I do say these rules make it more challenging. It is all setup and driving. The karts are evenly matched so you don’t have the few big money guys running up front every week, it is s lot more competitive. Other tracks we race at have an out of box class. They typically don’t have as many karts as the clone classes, but it is close in numbers. I think the predator is just like any racing, right now it is a cheaper way to get on the track. How long until drivers nature comes out and they start asking for rules changes to allow them to run faster?
I almost posted earlier about how slow and boring the stock predators are but knew i'd get attacked by a few in this thread. But its the truth. Even the clones aren't that impressive. Need something with about 15hp and reliable.

my recollection is the Animal was the flathead replacement and engines quickly became 1500. from builders. then the Box stock Project came in and started the Box Stock Project and a spec engine called the clone could be bought for $125.00 nothing could be done to it (i.e. BOX STOCK) and there was a claimer rule. then came rules then came cams and blueprinting and flywheels etc. and 800 + motors. i have found the current average price of a national level clone to be around $1350-1400.

where am i wrong in all of this? please explain what "REALLY" happened as the clone was Not a replacement for the flathead
Jimmy Simms DID bring in BSP to replace flathead, i was there with Jimmy and those were his words to me. There was a written set of rules in existence as BSP started, not when HF clone started. Dont get the 2 confused.

I almost posted earlier about how slow and boring the stock predators are but knew i'd get attacked by a few in this thread. But its the truth. Even the clones aren't that impressive. Need something with about 15hp and reliable.
funny you say this as we are only 1 sec off the clone in the same weight class. 375 predator is typically as fast as 425 clone in a typical Saturday night and lap time are almost equal to if not better than the flat head. I don't think its slow I think its quiet and people think its out of the norm when they are on the track and equate that to slow.

To each there own I guess, nothing more boring for me to watch than the big HP classes, Noise does not equal lap times but it does equal cautions, I've seen plenty of times where the best blue plate clone times were better than the noise makers.

Drive a Outlaw Sprint car or see how long you can keep a GNC 750 motorcycle pinned around a track and you'll realize that anything under 3 digit hp ant's that big a deal

To each there own I guess, nothing more boring for me to watch than the big HP classes, Noise does not equal lap times but it does equal cautions, I've seen plenty of times where the best blue plate clone times were better than the noise makers.
I agree, it may be slow to watch, but the racing is closer and more competitive.
The predator is doing what the clone did in the beginning and that's putting new Karters on tracks.

godspeed lap record set by Fifty-5 Cartel at 58 mph
My typical speed ad godspeed predator 50. mph
58 mph=85 feet
50= 73ft
distance is 12 ft. that's only two kart lengths o know it adds up lap after lap

Back