Daytona Classes

Hey Cole, The Joe's House of Cheater Clones / Pine Tree Racers / MGM Pro Gas classes fit all the criteria you mentioned.

See you guys soon !

Joe

Hello ! I do know that Nascar has changed rules at Daytona between rounds of practice but don't know what that means to a kart race

Also can I run a sprint kart there ?

Just FYI, I have exchanged emails with Gene Davis and right now, it doesn't appear that there is any intent to change the class structure for Daytona (Pro-Gas & Animal run together & scored as one class). He has suggested that the 4 cycle group get together and decide how they want the class structure for 2015 and report to the competition committee.

Gene also said from what I gather in my emails, that he can NOT understand how the Pro-Gas would be faster than the WKA Animal engine and what has been explained to him as this: "The goal for the ProGas, (which from my understanding is still an Animal engine), is that it can compete with the regular Animal classes and may occasionally win but will not be a dominate engine."

I replied I do not understand how anyone can make that statement without any ON TRACK testing of this engine running with the WKA Animal class. Dyno graphs and HP curves are one thing, but we ALL know on track testing is the key.

SO, with that said, IF you want the WKA Animal class to remain as it was in the years previous to 2014........... you better contact your Trustee, Comp Committee members, and anyone else in WKA that will listen ASAP.

And like I told Gene, I'm NOT against the Pro-Gas class, infact I am building one to run at Daytona and think it sounds like a good idea. But I do NOT think it should be run with and scored with the WKA Animal class WITHOUT on track testing in advance.

Wow, how many people already wrote in to tell them the same thing Jamie. Why do our protests fall on deaf ears? Why didn't this go through the competition committee THIS year? I wish I had this news before I registered for Daytona. I too am not opposed at all to having a pro-gas class, but to put them together, and allow an arbitrary weight advantage just doesn't make any sense.

Can someone pick up my trophy at CMP this year for the 2013 season and send it to me? I don't think I'll be going to any races this year.

Does this make the animal classes money races?
Also, if you ad or subtract weight to keep up with another engine package, its time for the Animals to get into the lay down classes.

Wow, how many people already wrote in to tell them the same thing Jamie. Why do our protests fall on deaf ears? Why didn't this go through the competition committee THIS year? I wish I had this news before I registered for Daytona. I too am not opposed at all to having a pro-gas class, but to put them together, and allow an arbitrary weight advantage just doesn't make any sense.

Can someone pick up my trophy at CMP this year for the 2013 season and send it to me? I don't think I'll be going to any races this year.

The trouble is Bill, we're dealing with a group of people who converted 25 regular Gold Cup Animal racers into 20 regular Gold Cup Pro Gas racers and declared this "Progress!" Even if every Alky racer stayed home and 2 Gas Pros show up, the idiots who brought these rules into place will just conclude that the Alky is obsolete, and completely miss the fact that entries by the dozens evaporated. You'll be giving them what they want by staying home in protest.

No, the way to win this battle is to vote down the combined class, vote down giving Gas Pro any further help, and help kindly persuade Gas Pro operators to convert after the Alkys run circles around them.

I hear what you are saying Steve, and I agree. I have to say again, that I am not opposed to pro gas having their own class. I am totally opposed to combining the two. I think everyone is saying the same thing. So why isn't WKA listening? How did this become a decision only by Gene? It all makes absolutely no sense at all. The end result is that it is completely detrimental to gaining new people to road racing. To me it this seems very obvious. Allowing an option for the gold cup guys to come to road racing to try it out is great. It has the potential to attract more participants. Combining the two however forces people to choose or drop out. This doesn't increase numbers it loses numbers. If this is all about the money, then someone isn't looking at this thing the right way.

The pg motors could also be a natural progression to run alky. Instead of re-blocking a standard bore motor, bore it out swap cams and carb and run alky. Then you could run two classes in one day if you so choose.

I've even considered that running PG on Sunday could be an option for me as well. I'd run alky on Sat, and PG on Sun. I had a tough year in 360 with lots of bad luck breaks, and it's also getting tougher to run with you FLY guys (Fast-Light-Young). Plus I can't make the 410 class so PG is a motor option that might fit for me instead of LM.

My plan this year is as always, I'll run all of the WKC races, that's a given. I will run any national that I can fit in to my work and racing schedule. Unfortunately, I do have a heavy workload this year with a lot of off-site test projects. I also want to run at least 2 Lemons or Chump car races this year, maybe 3 if things go well there. At this point I am still in the planning stages.

I appreciate the passion you guys have for your class. This is what makes karting the sport it is. I would like to clear up what I can and may go off topic a little.

1. This change did not go to the competition committee. In reality nothing has to go to the committee. The committee has no voting powers within WKA. The trustees are the only people that can vote. They try to send everything to the committee but it does not always happen. When I presented the changes the committee discussed in 2013 to WKA they were all approved. At the time of that approval I honestly did not know ProGas even existed.
2. As chairman of the committee I get credit when stuff is right and also when it is wrong. That goes with the job. The class structure was not my idea but I do agree with the decision the trustees made.
3. As far as no on track testing the Alky animal and the pro gas have raced together in gold cup. What I have been told is that pro gas has not won any of those races. Sprint courses like Beaver Run are very close to a road race track.
4. The trustees have given people the authority at Daytona to make changes during the race event should the performance of the pro gas be above what is expected.
5. My opinion is that do you really think someone is going to make the alky animal class their regular class since pro gas has their own class.
6. How many of you run your regular aminal motor in the limited modified class. I know it has happened because I have been told so. I see this as the same thing. Sometimes you just have a bad weekend and all the fast stuff breaks and it is nice to have a reliable motor you can bold on so at least you get out on the track.
7. Hope to see everyone at Daytona.

Gene

not looking good with this race too many changes on chassis and stuff to change also looks like a lot of drama im not big on cry babies and I might pop them

Basically drill and safety wire bolts, hubs, steering shaft, header pipe, muffler. Second brake caliber and master cylinder, seat height over 13 1/2 inches and legal motor. Have solid body work that is not being held on by duct tape and your good to go. I will be happy to help, find me in the pits. As for the cry babies and the drama, rest assured it is not indicative of my experiences in Road Racing. It is engendered by the few to the amusement of many.

Basically drill and safety wire bolts, hubs, steering shaft, header pipe, muffler. Second brake caliber and master cylinder, seat height over 13 1/2 inches and legal motor. Have solid body work that is not being held on by duct tape and your good to go. I will be happy to help, find me in the pits. As for the cry babies and the drama, rest assured it is not indicative of my experiences in Road Racing. It is engendered by the few to the amusement of many.

thanks i still not sure i need a bigger nose cone and a belt drive. can i use my 35 chain clutch? still thinking about it and as long as i do not have to race the guy that said idiots and put wka under the bus

3. As far as no on track testing the Alky animal and the pro gas have raced together in gold cup. What I have been told is that pro gas has not won any of those races.
Sprint courses like Beaver Run are very close to a road race track.
Gene

So why put the Pro Gas in with the animals (alky) in the first place? It's been announced that the Pro Gas has been given their own classes at Daytona, so just drop the option to run them with alky animals. At least drop them from the scoring if you want more race condition testing.

4. The trustees have given people the authority at Daytona to make changes during the race event should the performance of the pro gas be above what is expected.
Gene

Who has been given the authority, and when will decisions be made? Race director? Post race Tech? If decisions are made after a race it'll do no good but **** off people who just spent money to enter a class for either the Stock animal guys or the Pro Gas guys. If decisions are made on practice day is WKA willing to make refunds and/or waive all fees?

5. My opinion is that do you really think someone is going to make the alky animal class their regular class since pro gas has their own class.
Gene

Like I said, it offers up the option to run another motor class. I've got several animal motors that I could easily convert to PG. 206 has to be sealed so that it out. LM requires too much money (reliability issues) IMO. If Pro gas is its own class and it is successful great, maybe no one will want to run alky. But if the numbers dwindle, they may want to run the alky class. This is again supports the idea to keep them separate.

6. How many of you run your regular aminal motor in the limited modified class. I know it has happened because I have been told so. I see this as the same thing.
Sometimes you just have a bad weekend and all the fast stuff breaks and it is nice to have a reliable motor you can bold on so at least you get out on the track.
Gene

I don't know anyone who has run their Stock animal in LM. No way to be competitive. I do know of one instance where a stock bottom end was rebuilt in the paddocks with the blown LM parts (cam, carb and head) in order to run. Same thing could be done with a PG motor to run alky or visa versa. But again this supports keeping the classes separate. Just as Stock animal and LM are.

So a couple of us are being more vocal about this than others, but unless I'm mistaken we unofficially represent the backbone of 4 cycle road racing. There is not one soul I have spoken with in the community that thinks that combining the classes is appropriate, or good for the sport. And Gene, I appreciate your chiming in in on this forum. This is the first I have heard anything from WKA. I did speak with our District 8 4 cycle rep, and have send email to Trustee and WKA about these concerns. I did not send my email to you as I thought I was following the proper chain.

thanks i still not sure i need a bigger nose cone and a belt drive. can i use my 35 chain clutch? still thinking about it and as long as i do not have to race the guy that said idiots and put wka under the bus

My team ran TWO karts last year with a Hilliard Flame clutch/Bully conversion and #35 chain. I ran regular CIK/sprint body work and sit-up seats too. We pushed a lot of air, weren't the fastest but had the most fun. Picked up a second and third place in class. Quite a few karts that crossed the finish line ahead of us failed tech and by the end of the day we left with a Cup and a Plate. Bottom Line: If you really want to do it, just come and do it.

Back